High protein pureed diet
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in broccoli. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 8 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.
- To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Chicken-flavored broth, a vegetarian broth despite its name, is preferable to vegetable broth in some recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called “No-Chicken Broth,” it can be found with the soups in the natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
- Read more: Got Extra Veggies? Turn Them Into Pureed Soup with This Simple Formula
Subscribe to the Magazine
Limited time 3-for-1 deal!
Get a full year of EatingWell®, Rachael Ray Every Day™ and Shape® for just $11.